Known also as Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica, the Museum of Palazzo Davanzati was opened as state museum in 1956. The 14th century Palace, once prestigious dwelling of the Davizzi family, merchants and bankers, features an imposing façade overlooking the homonymous square, once populated by ancient house-towers. Nonetheless, the building has preserved the name of another family, the Davanzati, who purchased it in 1578, enriching the façade with the big coat of arms of their family and inhabiting it until 1838. In 1904, the Palace was purchased by antiquarian Elia Volpi who opened the first Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica to the public in 1910, example of a “Florentine” style sought for by Italians and foreigners. The various collections of the Museum are different and interesting: sculptures, paintings, furniture, ceramics, lacework and embroideries, common-use objects, etc. On each floor, the rooms follow an identical layout: the Great Hall, of the same length of the façade, the day hall, the office and the bedroom with decorated wooden ceilings and wall paintings with fake upholstery, with views of the gardens and the important painted cycle of the Chatelaine de Vergy.